Join us, become a Plastic Reduction Partner
As a food professional, you have a unique opportunity to protect the ocean from plastic waste.
Ocean Wise’s Plastic Reduction Program is a hub for food professionals, like you, to access tools and get support on your plastic reduction journey. In collaboration with experts and like-minded peers, we will help you reduce unnecessary plastic use and increase recycling.
- Concerned about your business’ plastic use?
- Worried about getting ahead of Canada’s proposed single-use plastic ban or municipal policy changes?
- Keen to reduce your waste disposal costs?
- Want to enhance your reputation as an industry leader?
- Would you benefit from expert support on your plastic reduction journey?
Ocean Wise is here to help!
Already a partner? Sign in here.
Who it’s for
Food businesses, and their teams, who want to be part of the solution to plastic pollution. In time, we plan to extend this service to suppliers and other related businesses.
To become a partner in the Ocean Wise Plastic Reduction Program, we ask that you commit to the following:
- Use our online tool to measure your plastic footprint and set targets to reduce it
- Eliminate harmful and unnecessary plastic use within the first 12 months (including single-use plastic bags and straws*, foamed plastic, and single-use food ware for onsite dining at minimum, if you haven’t already)
- Report your progress annually and celebrate your success
*Ocean Wise recognizes that flexible plastic straws individually wrapped in paper are a necessary tool for accessibility for some individuals. We support the need to have these items available upon request, with no questions asked.
What does it cost?
Nothing! The Ocean Wise Plastic Reduction Program is being offered for free in 2021 thanks to funding from Environment and Climate Change Canada, Vancity, and Vivreau.
We even anticipate that you may save money by reducing your need to replenish single-use plastic inventory and by increasing your profit margin on products that you offer package-free or in reusables.
How to get started
Take the Ocean Wise Plastic Reduction Partner survey and tell us about your business and its plastic footprint.
Your answers will inform a customized report from our team with recommendations and strategies for reducing your plastic use and increasing recycling. Rest assured your survey answers and report are confidential and will not be shared with other restaurants or the public.