Join us, become a Plastic Reduction Partner
As a food professional, you have a unique opportunity to protect the ocean from plastic waste.
Ocean Wise’s Plastic Reduction Program is a hub for food professionals, like you, to access tools and get one-on-one support along your plastic reduction journey. In collaboration with experts and like-minded peers, we will help you reduce unnecessary plastic use and increase recycling.
- Get ahead of proposed plastics bans and bylaws, locally and nationally
- Reduce unnecessary costs from inventory and waste disposal fees
- Enhance your brand reputation and build customer loyalty
- Access free, one-on-one expert support and science-backed tools
- Make a real difference – scale your impact with collective action!
Who it’s for
Food businesses, and their teams, who want to be part of the solution to plastic pollution. In time, we plan to extend this service to suppliers and other related businesses.
To become a partner in the Ocean Wise Plastic Reduction Program, we ask that you commit to the following:
- Use our tool to measure your plastic footprint within the first 12 months
- Set targets to refuse, reduce, reuse, or better recycle plastics (at minimum: eliminate single-use plastic bags and straws*, foamed plastic, and single-use food ware for onsite dining)
- Report your progress annually and share your success stories!
*Ocean Wise recognizes that flexible plastic straws, individually wrapped in paper, meet the widest range of accessibility needs and ensure that customers who have difficulty drinking can safely consume beverages and nutrition. We support the need to have these items available upon request, with no questions asked.
What does it cost?
Nothing! The Ocean Wise Plastic Reduction Program is being offered for free in 2021 thanks to funding from Environment and Climate Change Canada, Vancity, and Vivreau.
Businesses can even anticipate cost savings by reducing waste disposal fees and single-use plastic inventory expenses.
How to get started
Take the Ocean Wise Plastic Reduction Program onboarding survey and tell us about your business and its plastic footprint.
Your answers will inform a customized report from our team with recommendations and strategies for reducing your plastic use and increasing recycling. Rest assured your survey answers and report are confidential and will not be shared with other restaurants or the public.
Already a partner? Sign in here.